Communications Director or Manager
About Initiate Justice
Initiate Justice’s mission is to end mass incarceration by activating the political power of the people it directly impacts. We organize our members, both inside and outside of prisons, to advocate for their freedom and change criminal justice policy in California.
We have 33,000+ incarcerated members, 150 inside organizers, and hundreds more outside members and organizers throughout California. We are 100% led by people directly impacted by incarceration.
Communications Director or Manager (Los Angeles)
The Communications Director or Manager will support our Executive Director and other staff members to uplift the stories of directly impacted people and shift the narrative of the public and elected officials towards a more restorative and just public safety system. This position is responsible for telling Initiate Justice’s story, and why our work matters, on our website, social media platforms, newsletters, news articles, and any mediums where we can spread our work, messages, and ideas, especially sharing perspectives from the inside. Responsibilities include:
- Managing social media accounts, posting new content, replying to incoming questions, and interacting with other organizations and people relevant to our work.
- Updating the Initiate Justice website, and making sure the website both shares key information and tells our story well, and gives people opportunities to get involved as volunteers and advocates.
- Writing and / or collaborating with our staff and organizers inside and outside of prisons on blog posts, articles, podcast episodes, and other creative storytelling projects.
- Managing the writing, designing, and mailing of our quarterly newsletter sent to our 34,000+ incarcerated members
- Applicants who have been directly impacted by incarceration (formerly incarcerated or having an incarcerated loved one) will be given priority.
- 2-5 years experience with storytelling, communications, marketing, public relations, or similar communications fields.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to handle multiple projects at once
- Ability to effectively manage time and ensure the completion of projects on schedule
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Business Suite.
- Media skills like graphic design or audio/video recording a plus
- Spanish-speaking ability is a plus
- Location: Los Angeles
Compensation & Benefits:
- $65,000-$80,000 annual salary (depending on experience, and whether hired as Manager or Director), full-time position
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance premiums paid by Initiate Justice
- $1,000 for Professional Development
- $500 for Healing (for staff impacted by incarceration)
- Applications Accepted: Until position is filled and posting is removed
- 1st & 2nd Round Interview
- Target Start Date: As soon as position is filled (ideally by February 2021)
How to Apply:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following attached as PDFs, Word Documents, or Google Docs,:
- Your resume
- Two references we can contact
- Completed work samples (details below)
For us to understand your outlook and values, current skills, and approach to completing projects, please complete the below work samples and attach them to your application email in Word Document, PDF, or Google Doc format:
- A) Please tell us:
- Your story, and why you are committed to ending mass incarceration.
- Why you want to work for Initiate Justice. What makes us different or special, compared to other organizations you could join?
- B) Initiate Justice supports ending extreme sentencing practices. One such policy is California’s Three Strikes Law, which is why we are supporting the Repeal California’s Three Strikes Law Coalition. Please write a 2-4 paragraph email that would be sent to Initiate Justice’s supporters telling them why supporting this campaign is important and in line with Initiate Justice’s mission, and asking our supporters to donate to the Repeal Three Strikes campaign and getting them to share a statement on their personal social media supporting the campaign.
Initiate Justice is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.