About Initiate Justice
Initiate Justice’s mission is to end mass incarceration by activating the political power of the people it directly impacts. We organize our members, both inside and outside of prisons, to advocate for their freedom and change criminal justice policy in California.
We have 33,000+ incarcerated members, 150 inside organizers, and hundreds more outside members and organizers throughout California. We are 100% led by people directly impacted by incarceration.
Deputy Director (Los Angeles)
The Deputy Director serves under our Executive Director, helping to set big picture organizational goals and strategy, and helping staff operationalize those goals and put campaigns and programs into action. The Deputy Director has the big picture in mind, while helping each department function effectively and strategically, while gathering insights and taking direction from our organizers and members inside CA prisons.
Responsibilities shared between the Executive Director and Deputy Director include:
- Hiring, managing, and developing staff.
- Leading annual, quarterly, and weekly staff meetings.
- Managing staff teams and coordinating across departments.
- Setting organizational goals (multi-year and annual) and tracking progress.
- Representing Initiate Justice at events, in coalitions, or meetings with elected officials.
- Building relationships between Initiate Justice and other movement organizations, political entities, funders, and other key stakeholders.
- Applicants who have been directly impacted by incarceration (formerly incarcerated or having an incarcerated loved one) will be given priority.
- Deep experience with criminal justice policy work, movement building, decarceration campaigns, and other related social justice experience.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong people skills and ability to support staff while also providing oversight.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to lead multiple large projects at once.
- Ability to effectively manage time and delegate responsibilities to ensure completion of projects on schedule and up to high standards.
- Location: Los Angeles
Annual Compensation & Benefits
- $80,000-$100,000 annual salary (depending on strengths and experience), full-time position
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance premiums paid by Initiate Justice
- $1,000 for Professional Development
- $500 for Healing (for staff impacted by incarceration)
- Applications Accepted: Now and until the position is filled and this posting is removed
- 1st & 2nd Round Interview
- Target Start Date: Two weeks after candidate is offered job and accepts
How to Apply:
Please email email@example.com with the following attached:
- Your resume
- Two references we can contact
- Completed work sample (details below)
For us to understand your current skills and approach to completing projects, please complete the below work sample(s) in PDF, Word Document, or Google Doc format, and attach them to your application email:
- On 1 page, please tell us:
- Your story, and why you are committed to ending mass incarceration.
- Why you want to work for Initiate Justice. What makes us different or special, compared to other organizations you could join?
- Send 1-2 pages responding to this prompt:
- Initiate Justice is an abolitionist organization. What do you see happening currently in the criminal justice and abolition movements in California, and what opportunities for big, transformational wins do you see? As Deputy Director, where do you think you could help take Initiate Justice as an organization, and what would success look like over 2-4 years, for us as an organization and in terms of possible statewide wins towards abolition and decarceration.
Initiate Justice is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.